Moderators: Leadhand, EM2, longhair, Copperhead

#974690 by Hoop
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 am
This year prior to the Rally I'll be riding 2 up to Yellowstone for 2 or 3 days. Still not 100% written in stone but tentative plans are Sturgis to Cody. Cody to yellowstone (will stay in West Yellowstone or tent camp in the park). West Yellowstone to Bear Tooth Highway & Billings MT. Billings via Hwy 212 to Stoneville Saloon & Sturgis.

My question pertains to the Sturgis to Cody route. Plan to take Interstate 90 & exit in Ranchester, going west on Hwy 14. Hwy 14 splits to the northern route Hwy 14A & the southern route Hwy 14. Anyone familiar with these routes, would appreciate pluses & minuses of each route.

I rode to Cody from Sturgis in 1995. Pre-internet days, so info was limited to a road map. Its 100 times easier to plan a trip in the internet age. Maps/lodging/dining at ones fingertips months before departure. Back in 1995, I went from Buffalo to Ten Sleep to Meteetse to Cody. A less than delightful ride given the sustained high winds until one crossed the Bighorns. No desire to ever travel the route again.
#974691 by Teqsun
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:42 am
We took the southern route, Buffalo to Worland, a few years ago...thought it was a gorgeous ride. Very hot that year from Worland to Cody. Sorry, I haven't been on the northern pass.
#974727 by DOGZ
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:11 am
done the bottom route a few times. nice ride, great views.
#974731 by Sancho
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:22 pm
There are three routes from Sturgis to Cody over the Big Horn Mountains, 16 from Buffalo to Worland, 14 to Graybull and 14/14A to Lovell. I have done 16 and 14/14A. I don't think you can do wrong on any of the three but I would do 16 first.
#974771 by VDeuce
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:43 pm
We have done both routes several times. I tend to prefer the northern route for scenery!

Also as far as the Beartooth goes, I feel it is more scenic to go from east to west (start from Red Lodge) than the other way.
#974796 by hawk_56
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 am
I live in Sheridan, and my son lives in Cody, so I know the roads well! U.S. 14A to Lovell is locally known as the OMG highway. It is definitely better coming up! Going down is pretty steep, and the long straight after coming off the mountain is pretty bland. Another huge factor is that the road is too narrow for normal highway repair equipment as it comes off the mountain, so it tends to have many frost heaves and pot holes. U.S. 14 is IMHO, is the better route, beautiful with lots of curves. There's an awesome visitors center in Shell Canyon that's worth the stop. The town of Greybull has a very biker friendly bar and grill called the Smokehouse. Great burgers and cold beer! If I can be of more help, please feel free to email me at [email protected],net In addition, I grew up in Bozeman, so I can point you to some amazing rides in that area as well.
Take care,
Bob
#975481 by sacto
Wed May 16, 2018 5:05 pm
after surges last year we spent 3 days in buffalo and rode 14/14a both must dos and as hawk says stop at shell falls , had the toy hauler so trailered over 16 to cody via 14 done this quite a few times over the last 30 years , not much changes but it never gets old , on e thing i did notice this last year were a lot of the smaller towns like ten sleep were pretty much closed up nothing open and lots of help wanted signs .